Sunday 1 February 2015

过大礼 part 4

Mum, Ah Ma, Dad and I went to Chinatown today to finish up the last bits of the 过大礼 shopping. We pop to Chinatown in the midst of the Chinese New Year crowd and got all of what we wanted. '

What were on our list were quickly either multiplied or added with the 'help' of the match-maker auntie. I don't blame her, I just think that she has good sales techniques but all in all, perhaps also want the best for my marriage and myself. So in order to ensure that everything goes smoothly, I took whatever she wanted us to take (except for those that we firmly said no to).


This is a what they call "borrowed fate" which is a 4 packet of coins (I think 10 cent coins) which should be placed under the four corners of the newly-wed's bed. It means the bride is not exactly changing her life or her name to be married into theirs, it is a borrowed fate from the in-laws for her to be able to be part of their family and this is to ensure that it is paid back... Something like that.


This is what the bride has to bring over to her in-laws; with these 'daily necessities', officially be part of her new family. A set of towels, slippers, sewing set, mugs, toothbrushes and I think I need to buy toothpaste too. 


What is lacking in this picture is a pair of mandarin oranges which I will ask Ah Lau to 'sell' to me since he needs to bring 12 of them over. Everything in this picture which is a row of coins, a bag of seeds and beans to signify many children, an ang bao with 2 $1 coins in there and a sipphon to symbolise that I will bring many kids to the family. 


A pair of pants and a belt which I don't know what it is for but from my guess is to show that the bride is not a pauper and is a gift from as an early betrothal exchange gift?


Altogether, this is what I have to give Ah Lau when he comes over for the 过大礼. I also need to give him a pair of orange syrup which I wanted to substitute with Fanta orange but he says that according to tradition, it should be syrup and not soft drink. 

My mum also helped me got a pair of 安床 lamps to signify that that the couple would have boys soon. And also, a set of bedsheets and to finally top it off, a comforter because I cannot stand using normal blankets to sleep with. 

The date for the 过大礼is set on the 8th Feb which according to the almanac is a n auspicious date. Ah Lau will be bringing over (after confirmation)

- 12 oranges
- 2 packets of peanut sweets
- 2 packets of sesame sweets
- 2 boxes of mee sua
- 12 boxes of wedding cakes
- 娉金

Ok, will show more pictures then. Meantime, I am trying to look for someone who can help me cut songs so the entrance of the march-in would be at that point of the song that I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment