Sunday 8 February 2015

过大礼 (Actual)

Ladies and (gentlemen) assuming no men read my blog, today I am officially betrothed to Andy Low, hereby or since the beginning of this blog's birth, known as Ah Lau.


The double sticker that we have bought can now be put up on the door. 

The almanac showed that today would be an auspicious day for running wedding errands and so he picked today as the 过大礼 day / ceremony. It was to be done at 10am and he would be bringing his sister and her boyfriend over as helpers.

I woke up at 9am for a bath and picked a shorts and tee-shirt for this 'auspicious' and serious event when low and behold, Ah Lau turned up in a shirt and blazer, his sister in a beautiful orange dress and her boyfriend in a smart grey shirt. My Dad too, popped up in a pink long-sleeved shirt and my mum in a pink top. I... was the only one in shorts and tee shirt (albeit new). How super attentive this bride-to-be is -_-"

So here are the things that Ah Lau brought over.


Here is the oh-so-yummy butter cake. I picked a heart-shaped one because it would be what I would want to receive. Don't be fooled by its dry appearance (I was), it was so buttery and soft inside that it was as though a pandan cake. Super yumz~


The 4 packets of sesame sweets and peanut sweets which I gave 2 each back. 


4 packets of mee sua and I have 2 back as well. 


The 12 XL oranges that Ah Lau searched high and low for. These are meant for 过大礼 or prayer ceremonies. They come as 3 in a pack and about $4 each. We took 4 and gave him back 8. 


This is the 老嫲糕  that I've mentioned that is meant for brides that have grandmothers who are still living... No other nicer way to describe its meaning. Anyways, it is some kuay kuay made of glutinous flour. Very chewy and has a nice aroma. Ah Ma grabbed a piece and ate it up with delight. *Smiles* 


The 2 bottles of wine which we substituted for brandy for the bride's Dad. 


The 四点金 that some seniors commented was too thin, but it is perfect to me. The ring was a pass-down from Ah Lau's grandmother to him which was to be given to his wife. Apparently, it was given to the first son of the first son. 


And this is the grand finale of how the exchanged looked like with Ah Ma in the background and Ah Lau's sister's and her boyfriend's legs. What I didn't shoot, was the 娉金.

After the nice exchange, my Mum made Ah Lau pick out 4 numbers for her and she bought 4D. Needless to say, she didn't touch any, nor was there any combination that was close to what Ah Lau picked. Haha!

Then Ah Lau brought the things that I gave him back to his place and the cakes which I gave 2 back for prayers and his round of invitation card giving. 

I did mine and the cake distribution with my Mum and Dad and boy, they were so tired they came home almost collapsed. I, on the other hand was more tired than anything because I was driving all the time. But you know what, watching all my relatives taking the cake and the invitation cards from my hands, looking at it and seeing the softness and love in their eyes when they then turned to look at me and say, "Congratulations, Vic" my heart cringed with gratitude and love. 

At that moment, I know that I am loved no matter where I go or what I will be, Ms Tan or Mrs Low because love is the greatest energy on earth. I cannot live without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment