Tuesday 9 December 2014

Our wedding bands

I have always have very simple taste and do not like very extravagant jewellery. When I was very young and I knew I would get married, I was already telling people that I like this and this, that and that. My first choice was Georg Jensen's.

http://www.mallory-jewellers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Georg_jensen_22.png

It is not very popular among Singaporean couples as compared to the Tiffany band or the Bvlgari where every bride in her twenties would definitely get one. 

When I got into my thirties, I decided that I'd want a simple one, one that is elegant yet simple in design. And so I picked this one. 

http://assets.cartier.com/sites/assets/files/styles/cartier-1000-1000/public/catms/images/B4077900_0_cartier_wedding-bands-rings.png?itok=PyuL86-8

A beautiful circle of clean cut diamonds, small, neat and well... just simple. I saw a girlfriend wearing it as a gift from her lesbian girlfriend and I thought to myself, that I would want a similar one but definitely not the Cartier one. 

And of course, not forgetting, the groom will be wearing a simple one as well like so:

http://hitchedukst.s3.amazonaws.com/Fashion/MensJewellery/images/12_710_1713HisandHerWeddingBands.jpg
Then one of my closest friend who was going through a divorce told me that she was once told there was a reason why wedding bands used to be just a simple gold band eons ago. It not only represents simplicity at its purest state (just like the love between husband and wife) but its smooth surface also means that there will be no obstacles. Bands must also be rock-free (or diamond-free) so that the marriage will not be rocky. 

She further add that those people she knows who are have blissful marriages have smooth, simple bands and one of them was her brother. Her wedding band for example, has rocks on it, hence the rocky marriage. 

I was amused with this tale but superstition or not, Ah Lau and I decided to believe it. After looking around especially in Love and Co and Goldheart which offered simple bands at an astonishing $1.6k and above (Love and Co was $1.8k), I was dismayed and disappointed. They were even more expensive than those with designs on them!

We walked around until we casually went to Corrine's Jewellery at Marina Square and decided that there was where we wanted to get our bands. They are genuine (for sure!) an American standard of 14 karat white gold that weighs pretty heavy in my hands. Not sure if it is because that rest of the make-up is zinc and copper but I am very happy with it. 

I read somewhere (I think on hardwarezone) that the service there is very poor and their jewellery is also in very bad quality. Not to me. The wedding bands are gorgeous. And since Ah Lau and I decided that a wedding band need not be so expensive because it is for daily wear, then we jumped into it and bought both at $600. 

Here they are:





No comments:

Post a Comment